REJUVENATION

by Carmel on July 10, 2014 · 13 comments

We’ve mentioned it in passing on our Paris posts that during our visit, I was sick with bronchitis. After a week of trying to fit in recovery time between sightseeing in Paris, I was barely starting to get better. It was worth it to fight through the coughing fits, the asthma attacks, the fever, and headaches because…we were in Paris. But it was starting to the get the best of me. Thankfully, post-Paris mayhem, we were off to southern France to enjoy a slower pace and the chateau life care of our friends and website designers, Hannah and Lee, who had been house sitting for the past 6 months.

chateau-1

All aboard! Our first train ride together in Europe

chateau-2

Sitting back and enjoying the scenery of the French countryside

Hannah met us at the train station in Caussade – it had been nearly 2 years since we first met in person. It was a joyous reunion that I could hardly believe was finally happening. We had been emailing, counting down the months, then weeks, then days, to our arrival and it was just as wonderful as I had imagined.

Needless to say, we ate well.

chateau-19

A sampling of the delicious bounty and our attempt to eat all the cheese in France

It had been so long since I had been in a kitchen with such gorgeous ingredients at my fingertips. We stocked up on good cheese, bread, wine, vegetables, pasta, meats…and I finally got to make the French-style pork tenderloin (pictured above) that I had watched on an episode of America’s Test Kitchen so many months ago.

chateau-6

We had our first picnic in the backyard, right outside the doorstep of their little bungalow, with the sun shining on our backs as we indulged in creamy brie and crumby goat cheese.

chateau-9

I spent as much time in the sunshine, reading, as my allergies would allow

We wandered the vast property, overlooking the rolling hills in the distance, and snapped some photos to remember these few gorgeous spring days.

chateau-5

A shot of the actual chateau from the gardens

chateau-13

Looking from the chateau to the gardens

chateau-12

Fields, ready to be planted

chateau-4

So nice to be out of the city and enjoying the fresh air

chateau-8

The sun sets and lights up the sky

The few nights we were there, we kept discussing starting a movie, but it always ended up like this, sitting around with a fire and talking the evening away.

chateau-16

After nearly 7 months of endless summer, we were overjoyed for it to be cool enough at night to have a fire

chateau-17

I managed to sneak this photo of our lovely hosts while we were chatting

It was nearing Easter and Holy Week at the time we visited, so we had to move on to our next destination, Spain, before the heavy holiday traffic began. It was a short visit, but by the time we left, I was nearly recovered from my illness. I guess all I needed was some quiet time, fresh air, and good company.

chateau-18

Until next time, my lovely friends…

Tyrhone July 10, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Crikey, it’s like something out of pride and prejudice! Wouldn’t be too hard to get comfy there I bet. Glad to hear you’re feeling better, travel is tough when you’re sick.
Tyrhone recently posted…Paramotoring at it’s best! with a suptacular videoMy Profile

Carmel July 11, 2014 at 5:48 am

It seriously is. The bed we had was like sleeping on a cloud. I don’t think we had slept that well in years. Traveling when you’re sick is the worst thing ever. All you want is the comfort of home and you’re stuck in a hotel room. Blech.

Tyler July 11, 2014 at 2:08 am

That’s a helluva place to get over an illness! Great pictures as well – the one looking back at the house through the gardens is idyllic.
Tyler recently posted…Photo Essay: The Tongariro Alpine CrossingMy Profile

Carmel July 11, 2014 at 5:48 am

Thanks! We were feeling awfully spoiled those few days.

Hannah July 11, 2014 at 5:39 am

It was such a joy to share the chateau with you both! And your photos are making me so homesick for France – thank goodness we get to go back in three months’ time. Hope you guys can make it back for a return visit too :)

Carmel July 11, 2014 at 5:49 am

Thank goodness is right! And I really hope we can, too. That place just made me want to read books and get lost in thought. Miss you!

Steph (@ 20 Years Hence) July 11, 2014 at 7:28 am

Aw, Hannah & Lee! The chateau looks lovely (the perfect place to really unwind and get over an illness), but I’ve no doubt the company was what really made your stay so sweet. I know I am disappointed that we just missed our own visit to the beautiful chateau by just a few weeks!

Also, my real favorite thing about this post is the last picture: I LOVE how Hannah is in a tank top and flip flops and you are wearing hiking boots, a scarf, and a fleece! :D
Steph (@ 20 Years Hence) recently posted…Be Here NowMy Profile

Carmel July 11, 2014 at 9:33 am

I’m sorry you missed them too! Maybe next year? :)

Ha ha…I love that you pointed that out. I guess you can tell who had just come from SE Asia and who had been in Europe for awhile.

Kim July 11, 2014 at 8:19 am

Love it!!! So good to see all four of you together :)
Kim recently posted…Meet Gigi Griffis: writer, world traveler and Swiss expatMy Profile

Carmel July 11, 2014 at 9:33 am

If only you and Brian could have joined us…someday!

Rhonda July 11, 2014 at 10:43 am

oh so lucky getting to stay at the chateau with friends. Glad you got to enjoy that lovely spot.
Rhonda recently posted…Help us WIN!!!!!!!!!!My Profile

Ana July 11, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Oh My how I love to be there someday. Beautiful just beautiful. I really liked the sunset photo. Most try to paint it someday too.