ANGKOR WAT IN PHOTOS

by Shawn on March 23, 2014 · 12 comments

AW_20

When somebody mentions Cambodia, one of the immediate things that come to mind is Angkor Wat. Declared a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1992, the Angkor Archeological Park sprawls over 400 kilometers, and simply an awesome and necessary site to explore. With its intricate corridors, courtyards, galleries and columns, the complex is an unrivaled labyrinth of wonder.

AW_panel3

AW_panel4

AW_13

The temples are remnants of several capitals of the Khmer Empires of the 9th to the 15th centuries, and were constructed meticulously to honor the various rulers, as well as the Hindu and Buddhist religions. With the seemingly perfect symmetry and symbolic design of the vast temples, it is a virtual playground for photographers and appreciators of ancient architecture at its finest.

We toured the complex over a course of three days, averaging about five hours a day, and even then, we didn’t cover the site in its entirety. Carmel and I took hundreds of photos, deciding to let the photographs relate our journey into Cambodia’s past. It was difficult to cull a small sampling from the trove we took. I hope they represent the grander, magnificent marvels we enjoyed exploring.

AW_panel7

AW_18

AW_panel2

AW_19

AW_4

AW_35

Simone March 24, 2014 at 12:50 am

Awesome photos! We arrive tomorrow and can’t wait! Hope you have more on Cambodia to come.
Simone recently posted…Thai Cooking Class: Koh LantaMy Profile

Shawn March 28, 2014 at 12:12 am

I hope you have just a pleasant time in Cambodia as Carmela and I did. I highly recommend you choose the three-day pass for Angkor…you’ll need that much if you want to explore properly. Enjoy!

Megan March 24, 2014 at 7:38 am

Great photos!
Megan recently posted…A Grrrlz Mix for an Actual GirlMy Profile

Shawn March 28, 2014 at 12:11 am

Thanks for reading and commenting, Megan! We had a lot of fun exploring the sites over the course of three days! A truly immense place.

karen March 24, 2014 at 8:53 am

Your photos certainly achieved the magnificant story of an ancient world. Incredible photos.

Shawn March 28, 2014 at 12:10 am

Thanks, mom! It was difficult to cull the small sampling of photos to represent the three days of exploring. I’m glad you enjoyed it, though!

Tam Warner Minton March 24, 2014 at 2:17 pm

I just returned from Thailand where my daughter and I photographed several wats and the grand palace, among other sites! They have a miniature Angkor Wat at the Grand Palace, quite incredible! Thanks for these fabulous photos!
Tam Warner Minton recently posted…3 Sites you must see in BangkokMy Profile

Shawn March 28, 2014 at 12:09 am

Carmel and I miniature golfed at a place in Cambodia that was designed and themed with Angkor Wat! It was pretty fun indeed. It’s pretty amazing of the beauty of the wats, palaces and natural sites in Southeast Asia…we’ve enjoyed it immensely.

Rhonda March 27, 2014 at 12:21 pm

One of our favorites “sites” ever. I found it completely magical and was thrilled it actually lived up to it’s reputation!
Rhonda recently posted…Embracing Airlie BeachMy Profile

Shawn March 28, 2014 at 12:07 am

Yeah, I agree…I wasn’t prepared for the sheer immensity of the place. At times, it was a bit overwhelming, but something that will be imprinted with this overall experience and journey.

Steph (@ 20 Years Hence) March 31, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Oh, Angkor. It really is an incredible place—definitely our highlight from Cambodia and probably the one thing I would go back and do again some day. But so hard to write about, right? Photo essay is definitely the best option, I think!
Steph (@ 20 Years Hence) recently posted…Welcome to Laos, South East Asia’s Sleeping BeautyMy Profile

Shawn April 3, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Yeah, for sure. There’s so much history in each temple that it would sound like some droning dissertation. We decided to let the photos do the talking with this one. We took plenty.