KUANG SI FALLS AND BEAR SANCTUARY

by Carmel on January 31, 2014 · 20 comments

Our decision to head to Laos after Thailand was made only days before leaving. Our Thai visas expired at the beginning of December and we had three weeks before we needed to be in Siem Reap, Cambodia, to meet my family for Christmas. Faced with the decision to go west to Myanmar or east to Laos, we chose Laos – honestly only because it was cheaper and somewhat clearer on how to get there. This explains why we arrived in Luang Prabang with literally no clue what we could do with our time.

Enter a meet-up with our blogger friends Amy and Andrew from Our Big Fat Travel Adventure. They have made their love for Laos well known on their blog and we were happy to get some advice on what we must see in Luang Prabang. We had done some research on TripAdvisor and seen many recommendations on a day trip to Kuang Si Falls, about 30 km outside of the town. Amy and Andrew gave such an enthusiastic endorsement for the trip, we decided we should fast track it.

Since we are not motorbike-inclined, we opted to hire a tuk tuk for the afternoon. It cost us 150,000 kip (almost $19 USD) round trip, including a three-hour stop at the falls. We were strangely transferred to another tuk tuk after negotiating this price and the new driver was not too happy to find out how much we had agreed upon with the other driver.

KS_drive

Beautiful drive, not for those with weak stomachs

The ride up to the waterfalls is a little bumpy, to say the least. The first half of the ride was interesting because we were finally able to get a glimpse of life outside of Luang Prabang. It is a cute town, but in our humble opinions, it felt a little too touristy to us. The drive was incredibly beautiful…and the roads winding. Shawn mentioned briefly in his account of our bus ride to Luang Prabang how it felt as if we were taking the same turn over and over. We finally got to see why – every road seemed to twist and turn every couple hundred meters. Little did we know what was ahead of us on our Laos travels, but I digress…

As we entered the park, I was feeling a bit woozy. We opted to eat lunch before heading into the park knowing that we were going to miss the 12:30 bear feeding at the sanctuary, located just inside the park. Sitting at lunch Shawn told me about the bear sanctuary, saying that the bears get really close. Anyone who knows me knows that this idea scares the bejeesus out of me. Bears? Near me?? Nuh uh.

KS_bears

Just stay where you are bears

I was a little anxious going in, but he (slightly) reassured me that they’d be far enough away. We got there and I was relieved to see fencing up (although it wasn’t very high) and a viewing platform where we could watch the bears from a theoretically safe distance. We had missed the feeding, but were lucky enough that they were still working on getting the food out. Below is a short video of their attempts. Warning: it is unbelievably cute.

I’ll admit. I fell for the bears. The bears in this sanctuary are Asiatic Black Bears, or Moon Bears. Adults are slightly smaller than the American black bear and on average are 47-77 inches long (120-195 cm) and weigh 220-440 lbs (100-200 kg). The Tat Kuang Si Bear Rescue Center was established in Laos in 2003 after local authorities confiscated three bear cubs and asked Free the Bears for assistance to help look after them. There are now 23 bears in the sanctuary.

KS_bearseating

KS_bearstatue

This is what happens when you feed the bears

It was hard to leave the bears behind, but crowds were forming and we decided it was best to move on – we could come back on our way out. As if the day couldn’t get any better.

We’re lucky to live in an area of the world where waterfalls are abundant. I’ve seen my share of beautiful waterfalls in Washington and Oregon…but this was in a new category. I don’t think I’ve ever seen waterfalls this beautiful. The water is an especially gorgeous color thanks to the limestone surrounding them.

KS_pools

KS_pools2

KS_pools3

KS_falls1

KS_falls2

None of these photos have been altered other than adjusting the light a bit – they really are that gorgeous

We love to hike and decided to take our chances climbing to the top to get the view from the highest of the five levels of waterfalls. The climb is steep and occasionally very slippery. We only had our Columbia sandals on, so it was a little tricky at times, but after much huffing and puffing up the trail, we made it to the top. Only problem – there were no signs which way to go to get to the waterfall. We heard water, so we knew we were close, but couldn’t find the way.

KS_trail

The muddy steep trail and yes, we did need that vine to help us up

KS_deadend

Wrong way, go back

KS_shoes

Eventually, we started down a trail from which we saw people coming. A couple of Spanish women followed along and unfortunately, especially for the one wearing white sneakers, we came to a very muddy dead end. We never saw the top of the waterfall and really, I’m not that disappointed. We later found out that yes, the other muddy trail, over the creek and under vines and branches would have led us to the top of the falls. Oh, duh.

KS_pose

We made our way back down and had our photo taken in front of the waterfall we just tried to see from the top. Then we did what you’re never allowed to do in the States – we climbed up the rocks on the side of the waterfall, washed our feet off in some of the pools of the waterfall and enjoyed the cool spray all around us.

KS_fallstop

View from the side of the falls

By the time we got back to the pools where swimming is allowed, it was swarming with people taking turns on the rope swing and wading in the aquamarine waters. We were happy with getting our feet wet, so we watched those flying off the rope swing for a bit before heading back to say goodbye to the bears.

KS_swing

Looked fun, but cold

KS_sleepingbears

KNOW WHEN YOU GO

• A tuk tuk will cost you 150,000-200,000, so be prepared to bargain and be sure you are agreeing for the round trip price. Recommended visit time is 3-4 hours, which we thought was reasonable.
  • Entrance is 20,000 kip per person.
  • Bear feeding is at 12:30 pm. The sanctuary is free, but I recommend bringing a little extra cash (US dollars accepted) to support them and grab yourself a cute new souvenir. Donations are also accepted on the Free the Bears website.
  • If you choose to swim, be sure to have your swimsuit on already as there didn’t appear to be any changing areas near the waterfalls. The bathrooms leave something to be desired, so I wouldn’t want to change in there.
  • There are food and smoothie stalls near the entrance and are reasonably priced.

To see all of our photos from Laos, check out our Facebook page.

Travels with Tam January 31, 2014 at 2:13 pm

I love these bears!!! They are amazingly cute! And the waterfalls…wow. I notice you just spent time in Thailand, and I’ve read about the elephants. We only have 3 days in Bangkok, what do we absolutely HAVE TO DO, besides the elephants?
Travels with Tam recently posted…An African Safari is the trip of a lifetime!My Profile

Carmel February 1, 2014 at 7:56 pm

We wrote a couple of posts on our time in Bangkok. We did Wat Pho (http://www.thejourneyitself.com/2013/12/wat-took-you-so-long/) and the Bangkok Snake Farm (http://www.thejourneyitself.com/2013/12/bangkok-snake-farm/). Both which we would highly recommend. We LOVE Bangkok and just walking around can be an adventure, so try to give yourselves time to enjoy the city. It’s one of my favorites. If you have a chance, go out to Kanchanaburi. We will be writing about it soon as we went back to Bangkok after Laos and took a couple days to go out there. It’s beautiful and so educational. Enjoy your time and be safe! Things are getting a little crazy there…so far the tourist zones have been safe, though.

Steph (@ 20 Years Hence) January 31, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Aieeee! Love that last picture with the little bear in his hammock. That is my kind of bear! (And how perfectly Laos, right?)
Steph (@ 20 Years Hence) recently posted…Mini Budget Breakdown: Malaysian Borneo Travel CostsMy Profile

Carmel February 1, 2014 at 7:57 pm

I had to add music to the video of the bears because there’s a lot of my squealing and other people’s commentaries on what the bears are doing – “Oh look! That one is reaching for the fruit and can’t get it! Squee!!” Yeah.

Kim February 1, 2014 at 6:24 am

Yay bears (or do I mean– scary, bears) anyway, they look cute and harmless. And that waterfall was beautiful.
Kim recently posted…I can’t fight this feeling anymoreMy Profile

Carmel February 1, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Luckily they had food and sunshine, so they were content and not bloody thirsty. :)

Christina Rosalie February 1, 2014 at 7:58 am

That little pool looks magical. What an incredible adventure. Wanderlust is singing in my ears…
Christina Rosalie recently posted…37 before 37My Profile

Carmel February 1, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Magical is a great word for it. I still stare at those photos and just keep repeating, “it’s just SO beautiful there. UGH!”

Tyrhone February 1, 2014 at 10:51 am

Wow the light coming through the trees above those falls looks amazing, we never really explored aroundluang prabang much but Iit looks like we should have!
Tyrhone recently posted…Just a few more daysMy Profile

Carmel February 1, 2014 at 7:59 pm

The falls were definitely my favorite part of Laos. The light was just perfect. I think we were there in late morning and it had yet to get crowded. We felt really lucky to get such amazing shots.

karen montgomery February 1, 2014 at 11:21 am

Your pictures so captured the beauty perfectly,,could have been postcards. Loved the bears.
Some many thoughts when looking at the rays over the waterfalls.

Carmel February 1, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Thank you! It felt really special being there.

Catherine February 3, 2014 at 4:06 am

Great photos, the waterfalls do look stunning and the bears are so cute :)
Catherine recently posted…50 Things To (Think About) Doing Before You Go TravellingMy Profile

Carmel February 3, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Thanks Catherine! It was definitely a highlight of our time in Laos.

Sarah Somewhere February 6, 2014 at 2:46 pm

Beautiful! Sometimes I find the drive out to these places outside of the city is just as good as the site itself. We found Luang Prabang similarly touristy. Not that I am against touristy places in general (I lived in one for a year!) but it almost felt ‘staged’ or something. We were suffering from severe travel exhaustion at the time though, which never helps. You guys and the 20 years’ hence guys should do a joint post with all your growling animal poses. Seriously.
Sarah Somewhere recently posted…The jumping off pointMy Profile

Carmel February 8, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Staged is a great word for it. There’s nothing wrong with being touristy and really, the falls are touristy, but it was just more fun.

Haha…we should do that.

Steph (@ 20 Years Hence) February 12, 2014 at 11:08 pm

We are game for channeling our inner animals the next time we’re all together! Let’s plan on it! :D
Steph (@ 20 Years Hence) recently posted…Charmed (& Swindled!) At Sri Mahamariamman TempleMy Profile

Maddie February 12, 2014 at 3:34 am

It’s weird that I’m appreciating places I’ve seen myself so much in retrospect and through photos and blog posts from others. Kuang Si (and in fact Luang Prabang as a whole) is such a wonderful place, the calm and peace after either being in Thailand or Vietnam is something I hear from so many people. Glad you had fun on your hike, did you manage to avoid the leeches?! Worth it all for a swim in those pools.
Maddie recently posted…Finding new experiences close to home – Take 12 Trips, JanuaryMy Profile

Carmel February 13, 2014 at 6:48 pm

We didn’t swim. By the time we had a chance and it was warm enough the pools were all really busy. I didn’t feel like getting wet only to get into a tuk tuk and drive back.

Adam P. March 31, 2014 at 12:25 am

Amazing! Reminds me of the Plitvice lakes in Croatia..they´re underlain by limestone, too, so the water is the same stunning color..they´ve also got the similar terraced character. I´m thinking a mountain bike would be a great option to get to the waterfalls, too. Gives you a flexibility and saves some money, maybe.